Post Reply 
Renderer of Choice?
24-06-2019, 16:23 (This post was last modified: 24-06-2019 16:25 by DomieMic65.)
Post: #20
RE: Renderer of Choice?
(10-06-2019 12:55)timster Wrote:  
(05-06-2019 08:57)DomieMic65 Wrote:  Hi to all..
I was wondering how important is the computer that runs minimserver vs the renderer witch of course it's quite important!
For now I am in a very low end setup (Synology DS115j(Minimserver)/Rpi3B+(Archphile).
Does the low end NAS I use degrade performance? What would be the optimal machine to run minim?
Thanks!

Some say... it all depends on lots of things.... some say... optimal NAS would probably be a Melco. But who's to say?
Sorry for the tongue in the cheek, but the answer is not necessarily "the most expensive", nor is it "not the cheapest". Yours is probably perfectly fine. You could try an SSD though, as they don't spin there's less noise.

(11-06-2019 13:43)Snoopy08 Wrote:  
(05-06-2019 08:57)DomieMic65 Wrote:  Hi to all..
I was wondering how important is the computer that runs minimserver vs the renderer witch of course it's quite important!
For now I am in a very low end setup (Synology DS115j(Minimserver)/Rpi3B+(Archphile).
Does the low end NAS I use degrade performance? What would be the optimal machine to run minim?
Tried Minimserver on Synology DS414 NAS (4 SATA disks), Linux in Virtualbox on Win10 i7 laptop (SSD) and now Linux on Intel NUC (SSD). Difficult to tell difference in sound quality in normal operation with under 10,000 tracks. However, I am now doing heavy duty convolution which is where the NUC shines, not possible on NAS, VirtualBox on laptop.

The renderer has a larger influence than Minimserver. But the biggest influence will be the DAC that the renderer feeds.

Thank you both for your replies!

Yes of course the dac and secondly the renderer are the most important rings of the chain but since I found out about minim and saw what it can do after I had my NAS so I started having these questions!

Of course a MELCO would be a better choice but as you can see from my other gear there is no option for such expensive stuff!
How can I use an SSD? You mean in the NAS? I have about 2TB of music and growing so I don’t think ssd is also an option!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Messages In This Thread
Renderer of Choice? - krutsch - 09-06-2016, 05:12
RE: Renderer of Choice? - tomfox - 10-06-2016, 11:08
RE: Renderer of Choice? - Pepsican - 10-06-2016, 12:56
RE: Renderer of Choice? - krutsch - 10-06-2016, 14:59
RE: Renderer of Choice? - Pepsican - 13-06-2016, 09:57
RE: Renderer of Choice? - krutsch - 13-06-2016, 18:22
RE: Renderer of Choice? - rompolompo - 11-06-2016, 02:16
RE: Renderer of Choice? - rompolompo - 13-06-2016, 04:24
RE: Renderer of Choice? - DavidL - 23-06-2016, 20:44
RE: Renderer of Choice? - krutsch - 24-06-2016, 04:46
RE: Renderer of Choice? - DavidL - 24-06-2016, 15:43
RE: Renderer of Choice? - paulgj - 01-05-2017, 23:01
RE: Renderer of Choice? - roadster - 07-12-2018, 11:13
RE: Renderer of Choice? - DomieMic65 - 05-06-2019, 08:57
RE: Renderer of Choice? - timster - 10-06-2019, 12:55
RE: Renderer of Choice? - Snoopy08 - 11-06-2019, 13:43
RE: Renderer of Choice? - DomieMic65 - 24-06-2019 16:23
RE: Renderer of Choice? - timster - 25-06-2019, 08:00

Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)