Post Reply 
[unknown] Artist problem
09-09-2013, 18:02
Post: #14
RE: [unknown] Artist problem
(09-09-2013 17:00)Thor Wrote:  Sorry. I thought it was the same problem. Maybe it is not.

First of all thanks for a great product. I'm using it together with my Linn setup and around 50K High Quality (95% looseless) songs in my collection. I think the MinimServer is the best Music Server for my need that I have seen so far. It gives me flexibility and feel it will be close to perfect over time.

Let me explain exactly what I need:

I have a lot of compilation albums. I do not store any information under "Album Artists" if I have a compilation album. Instead I use the "Compilation" option. This works fine under iTunes and the files are automatically stored under the "Compilations" folder.

The problem with MinimServer is that if AlbumArtist is empty but Artist is filled then the Artist is shown under the Artist List not matter of "Compilations" is set or not in the file. What I want for compilations is the Artist are NOT shown on Artist List BUT shown under All Artists of cause.

MinimServer currently doesn't have any special treatment for the Compilation tag. To get what you want, you would need to add an AlbumArtist tag with the name of the index entry in the Artist list that you want to use for your compilations, such as 'Various Artists' or 'Compilations'.

Quote:Furthermore it would be great if there was a deep link from the Artist detail List to "All Artists" so that songs from the compilations could be found when an artist is searched under the simple "Artist list".

Hope you understand. I can illustrate with an example if necessary.

Your suggestion of adding a deep link from an Artist selection to the corresponding All Artists selection is an interesting idea, but it would require major design changes to MinimServer.

As an alternative, it might be possible to include compilation tracks directly under the Artist index entry for the track artist (if there is an Artist index entry for that artist), as well as including these tracks under the Artist index entry for the AlbumArtist value. However, I'm not convinced that most users would want to have these tracks duplicated in different sections of the Artist index. See this thread for some comments from an iTunes user who doesn't want this duplication.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Messages In This Thread
[unknown] Artist problem - scrutney2 - 18-07-2013, 22:37
RE: [unknown] Artist problem - Thor - 09-09-2013, 12:44
RE: [unknown] Artist problem - Thor - 09-09-2013, 17:00
RE: [unknown] Artist problem - simoncn - 09-09-2013 18:02
RE: [unknown] Artist problem - Thor - 10-09-2013, 09:03
RE: [unknown] Artist problem - Thor - 10-09-2013, 13:29
RE: [unknown] Artist problem - Thor - 11-09-2013, 09:22

Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)