Post Reply 
Synology 213 unable to load UTF-8 after DSM 5 upgrade
17-08-2014, 19:09
Post: #1
Synology 213 unable to load UTF-8 after DSM 5 upgrade
Had been running minim server 0.72 smoothly with DSM 4.3 on my Synology 213. Owing to the recent Synolocker threat I upgraded my NAS to DSM 5.0-4493 update 3 with minim server 0.82. Don't know why minim now can only start with ASCII charset ("Platform default charset is US-ASCII") instead of UTF-8 and as a result my non-English songs are all disappeared. Tried both Java SE Embedded 7 and 8 but it didn't help. Also tried reinstalling minim 0.72 and received the "UTF-8 locale and charset not available" message. Anyone encountered the same issue ? Is this a compatibility issue between minim 0.82 and DSM 5 ? Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and answers !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2014, 20:49
Post: #2
RE: Synology 213 unable to load UTF-8 after DSM 5 upgrade
(17-08-2014 19:09)JohnTan Wrote:  Had been running minim server 0.72 smoothly with DSM 4.3 on my Synology 213. Owing to the recent Synolocker threat I upgraded my NAS to DSM 5.0-4493 update 3 with minim server 0.82. Don't know why minim now can only start with ASCII charset ("Platform default charset is US-ASCII") instead of UTF-8 and as a result my non-English songs are all disappeared. Tried both Java SE Embedded 7 and 8 but it didn't help. Also tried reinstalling minim 0.72 and received the "UTF-8 locale and charset not available" message. Anyone encountered the same issue ? Is this a compatibility issue between minim 0.82 and DSM 5 ? Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and answers !

There isn't a compatibility issue between MinimServer 0.8.2 and DSM 5.0. I am running both of these with no problems.

If you login to the NAS with SSH and type the command:

locale -a

what output do you get?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2014, 12:24
Post: #3
RE: Synology 213 unable to load UTF-8 after DSM 5 upgrade
Hi Simon ! Thanks for your prompt response and here is the output :

DiskStation> locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
C
cs_CZ.utf8
da_DK.utf8
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
es_ES.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
hu_HU.utf8
it_IT.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
ko_KR.utf8
nb_NO.utf8
nl_NL.utf8
pl_PL.utf8
POSIX
pt_BR.utf8
pt_PT.utf8
ru_RU.utf8
sv_SE.utf8
tr_TR.utf8
zh_CN.utf8
zh_TW.utf8
DiskStation>
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2014, 15:03 (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 15:03 by simoncn.)
Post: #4
RE: Synology 213 unable to load UTF-8 after DSM 5 upgrade
(18-08-2014 12:24)JohnTan Wrote:  Hi Simon ! Thanks for your prompt response and here is the output :

DiskStation> locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
C
cs_CZ.utf8
da_DK.utf8
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
es_ES.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
hu_HU.utf8
it_IT.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
ko_KR.utf8
nb_NO.utf8
nl_NL.utf8
pl_PL.utf8
POSIX
pt_BR.utf8
pt_PT.utf8
ru_RU.utf8
sv_SE.utf8
tr_TR.utf8
zh_CN.utf8
zh_TW.utf8
DiskStation>

This shows the correct utf8 locales are installed on your NAS. The error message:

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory

looks like the cause of the problem. It seems that something went wrong with your locale configuration when you updated from DSM 4.3 to DSM 5.0. I get the following output on DSM 5.0:

DS713> locale -a
C
POSIX
cs_CZ.utf8
da_DK.utf8
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
es_ES.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
hu_HU.utf8
it_IT.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
ko_KR.utf8
nb_NO.utf8
nl_NL.utf8
pl_PL.utf8
pt_BR.utf8
pt_PT.utf8
ru_RU.utf8
sv_SE.utf8
tr_TR.utf8
zh_CN.utf8
zh_TW.utf8

I've never seen this "Cannot set LC_CTYPE" message and I don't know how to fix it. I think your safest option is contact Synology support for advice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2014, 12:13
Post: #5
RE: Synology 213 unable to load UTF-8 after DSM 5 upgrade
(18-08-2014 15:03)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 12:24)JohnTan Wrote:  Hi Simon ! Thanks for your prompt response and here is the output :

DiskStation> locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
C
cs_CZ.utf8
da_DK.utf8
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
es_ES.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
hu_HU.utf8
it_IT.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
ko_KR.utf8
nb_NO.utf8
nl_NL.utf8
pl_PL.utf8
POSIX
pt_BR.utf8
pt_PT.utf8
ru_RU.utf8
sv_SE.utf8
tr_TR.utf8
zh_CN.utf8
zh_TW.utf8
DiskStation>

This shows the correct utf8 locales are installed on your NAS. The error message:

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory

looks like the cause of the problem. It seems that something went wrong with your locale configuration when you updated from DSM 4.3 to DSM 5.0. I get the following output on DSM 5.0:

DS713> locale -a
C
POSIX
cs_CZ.utf8
da_DK.utf8
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
es_ES.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
hu_HU.utf8
it_IT.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
ko_KR.utf8
nb_NO.utf8
nl_NL.utf8
pl_PL.utf8
pt_BR.utf8
pt_PT.utf8
ru_RU.utf8
sv_SE.utf8
tr_TR.utf8
zh_CN.utf8
zh_TW.utf8

I've never seen this "Cannot set LC_CTYPE" message and I don't know how to fix it. I think your safest option is contact Synology support for advice.

I have the same problem as JohnTan.

Does JohnTan (or anyone) solve the problem ?

For Simon : when I use synology media server (and not minimserver) with Kinsky or Lumin app on my IPAD I have no problem with UTF-8 (french songs and folders are ok). Ma question : the problem is MinimServer or DSM 5.0 configuration ?

Thanks for all
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2014, 12:33
Post: #6
RE: Synology 213 unable to load UTF-8 after DSM 5 upgrade
(22-08-2014 12:13)gerard Wrote:  I have the same problem as JohnTan.

Does JohnTan (or anyone) solve the problem ?

For Simon : when I use synology media server (and not minimserver) with Kinsky or Lumin app on my IPAD I have no problem with UTF-8 (french songs and folders are ok). Ma question : the problem is MinimServer or DSM 5.0 configuration ?

Thanks for all

The problem is caused by DSM 5.0. I have informed Synology about this.

MinimServer uses Java, which requires a correct DSM locale setting to be able to read files and folders containing non-English characters.

Synology Media Server doesn't use Java, so it can read these files and folders even though the DSM locale setting is incorrect.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2014, 07:38
Post: #7
RE: Synology 213 unable to load UTF-8 after DSM 5 upgrade
(22-08-2014 12:33)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 12:13)gerard Wrote:  I have the same problem as JohnTan.

Does JohnTan (or anyone) solve the problem ?

For Simon : when I use synology media server (and not minimserver) with Kinsky or Lumin app on my IPAD I have no problem with UTF-8 (french songs and folders are ok). Ma question : the problem is MinimServer or DSM 5.0 configuration ?

Thanks for all

The problem is caused by DSM 5.0. I have informed Synology about this.

MinimServer uses Java, which requires a correct DSM locale setting to be able to read files and folders containing non-English characters.

Synology Media Server doesn't use Java, so it can read these files and folders even though the DSM locale setting is incorrect.

Thanks Simon ! Now I don't have to try re-building the whole NAS. Does that mean I now have to wait for their next DSM update assuming it will be fixed ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2014, 10:37
Post: #8
RE: Synology 213 unable to load UTF-8 after DSM 5 upgrade
(23-08-2014 07:38)JohnTan Wrote:  Thanks Simon ! Now I don't have to try re-building the whole NAS. Does that mean I now have to wait for their next DSM update assuming it will be fixed ?

You should contact Synology support and ask them for advice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2014, 14:59 (This post was last modified: 23-08-2014 15:01 by tarnkappe.)
Post: #9
RE: Synology 213 unable to load UTF-8 after DSM 5 upgrade
Did you uninstall and reinstall java? AFAIR the description of the java installer package that I am using tells you have to reinstall java after a system upgrade to make the locales work correct.

On my synology DS213 minimserver shows the utf8 tags fine. Even the peace sign of prince's sign O the times album is displayed in the naim N-Stream app.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2014, 12:08
Post: #10
RE: Synology 213 unable to load UTF-8 after DSM 5 upgrade
This turned out to be a DSM upgrade issue and thanks tarnkappe for telling me that his DS213 is running well with DSM 5. I ended up re-setting my DS213 with complete DSM 5.0 firmware re-installed and the problem is now resolved. Thanks everyone for your assistance and suggestions !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)